Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reading for Poverty Group Presentation


Here is the document we will be analyzing. We are going to consider the morality of the research ethics policy from the chronic poverty research center, along with research ethics more generally when dealing with people in poverty. 


This issue was a defining factor in a recent study I did down in El Salvador going to people's houses to do a census. Last year when I did a census study down there, I didn't think about things at all, but this year in the context of developmental research ethics, my whole perspective changed. Instead of how do I get this done? to a matter of - How should I approach collecting data from the villagers? How do I talk about these people? What is fair to share outside of the community? How am I affecting them by census-taking? 

Good topic, looking forward to the discussion.

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment